Thursday, December 31, 2009

A letter a month

Whatever you want to call them - resolutions/goals/plans - there are some things I want to do this year. I'm going to do my best to make keep my perfectionist tendencies in check, and be reasonable. (We'll see how that goes...)


One thing I know I want to do is write at least one letter (yes, as in snail mail) each month.

Here's where the idea came from:

1)
I had a client earlier this year who was having all kinds of computer/email problems, and I ended up needing to mail her proofs, etc. Folding up the letter, placing it into an envelope, sticking a stamp on it - I was surprised how much I loved and missed the tactile experience of sending physical mail.

2)
I just finished reading Jane Austen's Persuasion, as well as a memoir by her nephew. And that kind of literature always kind of makes you want to sit in parlors and leave calling cards and wear long dresses just to go walking down the hedgerow (what exactly is a hedgerow anyway?) and hand write newsy letters and maybe go to a ball. Ok, maybe that's just me.

3)
Some of my family just doesn't do email. And I've been meaning to work mailing them letters or cards into the schedule for some time. This is much more doable than the letter-a-week notion I had in my head at one time.

So that's the plan. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! And, Persuasion!? *sigh* I'll wear long dresses and leave calling cards with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I love this resolution! Seriously. I get the same wistful feeling when I send off a letter.

    I received Persuasion as a Christmas present this year! I've read lots of Austen novels but never this one, and I've enjoyed the couple dozen pages I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?