Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Resolve not to do this.

One time a motivational-speaker-type person I knew through work asked me if I had any New Year's resolutions.

I had been been rolling some ideas around in my head that I figured could qualify as resolutions, so I said yes. "How about you?"

She replied, "Oh, no. I don't make resolutions. I make goals."

Um, ok.

I get what she was trying to say - that she had definite objectives rather than just empty intentions - but it sure felt like a setup to me.

I resolved not to talk to her about that kind of thing again.

4 comments:

  1. Chanelle: Thanks. I sure didn't feel clever when she turned that around on me, though! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, I can't remember how I discovered your blog, but I'm glad I did. I'm currently doing up some New Year 'stuff', ie resolutions, goals :-)

    I just looked up the dictionary meanings of both words. Resolution can mean "the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc." A goal is "the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end."

    So despite the motivational-speaker-type person's "Oh, no..." reply to you, a goal cannot be achieved without first having a resolution to achieve it. So, you're on your way!

    Maybe you can now resolve to school her up on resolutions and goals ;-)

    Have a wonderful New Year and I look forward to reading more about "The Little Stuff of Life".

    Paula :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck! How snobby :/

    Paula's dictionary response is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?