Monday, June 23, 2008

Hold on to caution or throw it to the wind?

I tend to be vague when people ask the Hubs and I when we want to have kids.

I'm worried something will go wrong and then I'll have to deal with all these people. What if we have trouble conceiving? What if I miscarry? Does it hurt less if I avoid painful questions?

The preemptive strategy has always been: don't let them know if/when we'll be trying, much less if I get pregnant. Don't say a word until the first trimester's over. But maybe that's not the way to go.

It seems like my friends belong to the let-everyone-know-ASAP school. And it seems to have worked for them.

I'm trying to be more open. To not fear potential disappointment so very much. Should I be a little less cautious about the if and when? Or is it better to stay mysterious?

****

Photo by the Hubs or me. (Don't remember.)

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry if I ask you too much. I just love both of you and am excited to see how well I know that you two will do when/if you decide to have children. On a side note, it feels like I'm surrounded by Preggos lately. It's really kind of bizzarre...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if I gave you a straight answer you wouldn't have to keep asking! ;)

    Yeah, seems like peoples' major life events happen in waves. You're either going to a bunch of weddings or a bunch of baby showers or a bunch of graduations...

    PS We love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know what the best method is?
    whatever you want it to be.

    ;)

    be private or share as much as you want, and we are all here to support you how and when you need it.
    CHEESE WHIZ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a hard dilemma. I think there are pro's and con's to each. Having lived thru a m/c that we told no one about, I wouldn't want to go thru that alone again. I think each couple needs to think thru what would work best for them...

    I hope you find a good balance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanelle: What if I don't know what I want it to be? I guess we'll figure something out, huh?

    Thanks for all the encouragement and support! And virtual cheese whiz! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather: That makes me so sad to think of you two going through that alone. But I can totally understand why you would've chosen to go that route.

    It's really hard to know what works best before you've lived it. I know, that's life, but still....

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?