Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dr. Mom's sore throat remedies

Today I'm home with a sore throat. I already slept, I already read, I'm not sure what movie to watch, so now I guess I'll share my mom's sore throat remedies with you.

These generally work for kids or grownups. (Although I should refer you to the disclaimer at the bottom of this post.)

1. Gargle with salt water. I hated that as a kid. I don't like it now either, but it works. So I put it off. Then I finally mix a spoonful of salt with a cup of warm water and get it over with. Bleh!

2. Lemon and honey. Always a fave. Stir lemon juice (the kind from the bottle works fine) and honey to taste into a cup of hot water and enjoy (slowly)! The lemon juice gives you vitamin C. The honey makes the lemon juice drinkable, plus I think it has some kind of natural remedy properties too, but I don't know what. (And I'm too sick to be looking things up. Not too sick to type or take photos...)

3. Baby aspirin. Sucking on chewable aspirin will help your throat not to hurt so much. I don't have any children's aspirin, so I just swallowed a regular one and drank some coffee. That's really not the same, but I don't need a caffeine headache on top of everything.


4. Drink lots of water and orange juice. Mom would put water or juice or smoothies in a big water bottle with a lid and a straw (the bendy kind are the best), so we could just take it with us while we lounged around on the couch and watched t.v. or whatever.

Of course, now I've grown out of that.


Or maybe not.

OK, so Spanglish it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?