Thursday, October 15, 2009

Climate change: we're asking the wrong question


I've read stuff on why it's clear that the Earth's climate is definitely changing.

And I've read stuff on why it's clear the Earth's climate is definitely not changing.

And I've read stuff on why the Earth's climate may be changing, but it's a natural cycle not caused by human actions and nothing to worry about.

And you know what I think?

I think that we (as in, all of humanity) don't know as much as we think we know. We don't know why gravity works or what's in most of the ocean or why dogs wag their tails when they're happy. And I don't think we've got the climate all figured out, so I'm kind of a climate change agnostic.



Know what else I think?

I think we're asking the wrong question. Don't misunderstand: I'm glad that there are scientists and experts out there studying whether our planet is getting warmer or colder or staying the same and why.

But, regardless of their findings, when it comes to taking good care of this planet we live on, most of us could do better. We (as in, probably you reading this and definitely me) have room to improve in the way we manage our own resources - saving energy or driving less often or reducing the amount of stuff we throw out each week. And doesn't making things better globally almost always start with individual choices?

What if, instead of arguing about climate change, we focused on changing our own habits? What if we stopped wasting time debating minutiae and started finding ways to be less wasteful?

No matter how you answer the question Is climate change man-made? don't let that keep you from asking yourself: What changes am I making?





****
Photos by me.

3 comments:

  1. You are spot on. Regardless of whether the planet is changing temperature permenantly or it's just a cycle, we should be looking for ways to be better stewards for our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! Also I completely agree. The argument doesn't even make sense. Lets just forget the disagreement and agree to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz: Thanks!

    Christine: I love you too!

    See I told you girls you should be friends! You have lots in common. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?