Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reconnection

The memorial service for my grandpa on Sunday was difficult (of course), but it was a wonderful opportunity to catch up with family I’ve lost touch with.

Some of the cousins I played with as a child now have children of their own, and it’s so nice to see a few little ones at our family gatherings again. It feels so different, but the family bond remains, and we have plans to see each other again soon.

These cousins and I would not be family - would not have existed - without my grandpa. And, in a way, we also have him to thank for the blessing of reconnection.

*****

Photos by me.


2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your Grandpa ...yes sadly and maybe bittersweetly funerals are a time to catch up with old friends & family.
    I love your quote

    "These cousins and I would not be family - would not have existed - without my grandpa. And, in a way, we also have him to thank for the blessing of reconnection"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish: Thank you for your condolences. It was definitely bittersweet. Funny how laughter and tears are so mixed together sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?