Friday, April 4, 2008

Talc


I started to notice products claiming to be "talc free," and it made me wonder why do we need to be free from talc? I thought talc was good. I thought it was so safe they could use it in baby powder.

Of course, I started googling. What I found is that it doesn't seem like talc itself is the problem (as long as there's not anything else mixed in with it that's not supposed to be - like asbestos). The problem the teeny tiny particles that make up talc have a way of getting into places they don't belong. Like babies' lungs.

The research seems pretty mixed on the effects of this. It may cause breathing problems in babies. It may cause cancer. So I'm thinking it may be better not to risk it.

Here is some more info, if you're interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?