Monday, May 5, 2008

Baby food doesn't have to be gross?

I came across Seventh Generation's Review of Healthy Parenting Guides, which focuses on books about raising kids in a less toxic environment (with organic food, without certain household chemicals, etc.). You probably know where I went next...


My library only had one book on the list: The Organic Baby & Toddler Cookbook by Lizzie Vann, so I took a look at it.

Let me tell you what. Some of those recipes sounded so good that I would eat them (skipping, of course, the step where you blend otherwise appetizing ingredients into mush).

Actually, Erin and I chatted about that at our last play group. She said that a lot of times you can adapt whatever the rest of the family's eating for a baby or toddler, so you're not making two (or three...) separate meals.


Anyway, besides all the recipes, the book talks about what different age groups need nutritionally and why. Which I liked. I also liked that it takes into consideration that you might not always be able to get (or afford) only organic food.

So I'd say check it out, but, be warned, it might make you hungry.

* * * * *

P.S. Right now, my camera says "connecting to computer" but it's not connecting. So these photos (all of which were taken by moi, BTW) may seem strikingly similar to some in other posts. Bonus points if you can tell me which ones.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh! Great recommendation! Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was one healthy baby food book that I checked out w/ Xander that had awful recipes. I remember not understanding why he was spitting it all our until I tried a bite. But then there are other books with YUMMY recipes that I've actually taken and adapted to fit the rest of the family (we can all use more veggies, right!?!). My favorite babyfood book is First Meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You sound like someone who does her research... I do too! I'll be back to read you more. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cookbook looks great! I'm going to see if my library has a copy!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?