Saturday, May 17, 2008

Using my voice

Another ridiculously easy PSBN project brought to you by me...

I've been noticing lately how many things could come in recyclable containers - but don't. Then the other day the Hubs and I enjoyed some sweet, cold Starbucks badness. We noticed that our cups were recyclable (yay!) but there was nothing but trash cans around (boo!)


We ended up taking them with us and throwing them in our recycling bin. If we hadn't been headed straight home, though, we probably wouldn't have bothered.

I also took something else home with me: a business-reply-mail comment card.


I let them know that recyclable containers are good, but an actual on-site recycling bin would be even better. And I drew them a picture. (Well, they had this little cafe scene on there already, and I couldn't help myself.)


Now I'm thinking that wasn't so bad, maybe I'll speak up more often. Maybe I'll start saying something about all those non-recyclable containers.

Each of us only has one voice, but put all those voices together and you get...loud.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, what a great idea! So many places could/should have recycling bins for customer use - not to mention for their own business use. I agree - it will make a difference if we each speak up in a nice way. Next time I'm in a starbucks, I'll pick up a card and do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent idea! I probably also would not have bothered recycling if I was not on my way home.
    Something I've done to help was start a recycling campaign at work. Just like you, I have my very own recycling container at home now, but after we unpacked and got rid of all our packing materials, my can is NEVER full at the end of the week. Consequently, the city of Phoenix does not provide recycling for businesses. So, I brought a box in to work and have asked my coworkers to put any of their recyclable trash in it so I can take it to my home recycling can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea!! I hadn't thought about that at all! It's amazing the little things we do that we don't even realize most of the time!! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's EXCELLENT! Starbucks makes a point of doing good things like that, so they really should think about implementing it.

    Way to stick it to the man! ;-P

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?