- Donate to the community garage sale to help women in Burundi (Africa).
- Check with a zoo near you to see if anything you have fits their wishlist. (The Phoenix Zoo's list includes items you never would have thought of, i.e. sheets for orangutans to play in.)
- Dry cleaners will take hangers.
- Many grocery stores now have places to drop off plastic bags for recycling or will allow you to bring in and re-use old plastic bags (of course, replacing your them altogether with cloth bags is the best option).
- Animal shelters often accept "gently used" towels and blankets.
- Treasures 4 Teachers accepts all kinds of items (including school supplies, containers, etc.) and sells them to teachers very inexpensively for use in their classrooms. They have partners outside of Arizona as well.
- Real Simple has a guide to "How to Recycle Anything" with more great suggestions.
- I listed this on Earth Day, but I think it bears re-posting: Items you Never Thought to Recycle.
Photos by me.