Monday, March 23, 2009

On the menu: week of 3/22

Fun from the grocery store:

I went looking for a jar of red peppers at Sunflower Market (which you already know I love) (no, they don't pay me to say that), and I instead I found this "Mediterranean appetizer" with red peppers AND parsley AND eggplant AND garlic. AND it was on sale. So...yum! That went into last week's quiche, pasta and pizza. And I wish I'd bought more.


Another great grocery find was this jumbo pita bread (ours came from Haji Baba), which was perfect for the pita pizzas. I used leftover ingredients from the week - mushrooms, green onions, pasta sauce, tomatoes, etc. - as toppings. Then I threw it in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, and the pita got very crisp and thin and easy for the Hubs to eat. (Yay!)


One more thing you might be interested to know (unless you're vegetarian) - bone-in ham is 79 cents a pound at Food City this week. If you don't have a Food City near you, I'm sure it'll be on sale somewhere else soon, since Easter is coming up.

As for what we're eating this week:

  • Monday - Black bean soup (which is in the crockpot now)
  • Tuesday - Ham with new potatoes and corn
  • Wednesday - Mediterranean salad with chickpea patties (This is another Real Simple recipe, but I can't find it on their site - maybe too new.)
  • Thursday - Fried rice with ham and veggies
  • Friday - Last-minute lasagna
  • Saturday - Probably more pita pizza (It's just so good! And so easy!)
I'm making myself hungry! I'm gonna go eat now, but you can check out more menu plans on the Chive Talkin' Menu Plan Blog Roll, which has moved - so make sure to update your bookmarks!


****
Photos by me. Note: Pita bread bag is on pizza stone for scale. Do not throw the whole bag in the oven. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie! So glad you found me and thanks for the sweet comments. I have to say I missed your handwritten menu plan on the back of your grocery list! But, I love the photos and my goodness I have never seen pita bread that big. Here's a secret I am only sharing with you...we sometimes eat pizza more than once a week...lol...we love it so much and you really can make it healthy. Thanks again for joining me. Smiles, Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh yummy!

    I love the Mediterranian Meal, sounds amazing!

    And all your photos have me wishing hubs was home to have dinner. Hmmm, I did make some hummus the other night, that'll have to hold me over and curb that mediterranean craving Ihave now ;-)

    Thanks for stopping by and making me hungry,
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie: I love Mediterranean food too! (As you may have guessed.) I was actually thinking of trying to make my own hummus this week. Haven't attempted that before, but I've heard it's easy. Let me know if you have any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Mediterranean appetizer"... that's too funny.

    Making your own hummus is pretty easy. (well, if you have a food processor)

    Beware though, every recipe I've seen makes a LOT and it doesn't keep that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those chickpea patties are from the April Real Simple, right? They look delish - but hubs hates chickpeas. :( I'll live vicariously through you. Be sure to report back on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thrakkorblog: Funny, yes...and also delicious! Thanks for the heads up on the hummus. The good news is I can eat a lot of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the chickpea patties come from April's Real Simple and yes, I'll report back. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?