Looking for a fun summer project? If you have kids between the ages of 4 and 17, you should check out the SKIL Building Memories Contest. ("SKIL" because it's sponsored by SKIL Power Tools - and Lowe's. Not because you have mad skilz. Although I'm sure you do.) Anyway, I think it sounds like a neat idea. It's a little inspiration to get parents and kids working on a hands-on project together.
Here's what you do:
- Sit your kiddo(s) down by the computer with you.
- Go to www.skilbuildingmemories.com.
- Pick out a building project - there are four different ones, categorized by age.
- Click on "download project plans" to get a handy (but not totally printer-friendly) PDF that has a checklist of the tools and materials you need, plus directions of how to make the game or birdhouse or whatever you picked.
- Take said kiddo to the hardware store to pick up anything you don't already have around the house. (Guess which hardware store they suggest. Yep. But the rules don't say you have to buy your stuff at Lowe's. I checked.)
- Designate a photographer or videographer to document the process. (You could do this yourself - after all, you have mad skilz. But you don't want to forget to take pics or be too distracted from the task at hand.)
- Have fun building your project together and try not to hammer any little fingers!
- Enter the contest.
- Win the contest! And share your prize with me 'cuz I told you about it! (Kidding.)
Photo by 1) pmsyyz