Monday, June 8, 2009

On the menu: super simple


I know I've been talking about being into simpler meals, but this week we really need to go basic. It's gonna be busy. I want to spend as little time on food prep as we can get away with - without resorting to prepackaged or fast food (hopefully).

Here's what I'm thinking:

  • Monday - Rodeo Stew ('member? I froze some!)
  • Tuesday - Chanelle's macaroni and cheese - only I think I'll throw in some pepparoni (leftover from our amazing pita pizzas), which will un-vegetarianize it, but oh well.
  • Wednesday - Asian country-style ribs, mashed potatoes, zucchini
  • Thursday - lentil stew (already made by the Hubs)
  • Friday - stir fry with leftover pork, veggies, rice
If you're thinking, "that's a lotta stew-y stuff for June!" All I can say is "yep." Most of it is already made, and I can throw it in the crockpot or the microwave (so I'm neither standing over a hot stove or turning on the oven and heating up the entire kitchen/dining room area). It's easy. It's healthy. I can only factor in so many things, and seasonal appropriateness is not high on the list this week.

Moving on.

I wanna tell you about last week's pita pizzas:

Mom read last Monday's menu, and then let me know that she had pepperoni to contribute to our pita pizza cause. (Yay for Moms! And for online menu plans!) So she brought some over. Seriously, it made the pizzas. We did one round of pizzas with this red veggie sauce, pepperoni, tomatoes, Monterrey jack cheese and some parsley. And it was supergood.

Then we made another one to split and decided to do it Mexican style with leftover refried beans, chunky salsa, leftover chicken (which the hubs had made a southwest marinade for and grilled earlier in the week), cheddar and more Monterrey jack. Good stuff!

Speaking of good stuff, check out all this week's menu plans at Jenna's Chive Talkin' Menu Plan Blogroll.

*****

P.S. Don't forget tomorrow is epic poem day! My PerPoTues post should be up at midnight.

Photos by me.

2 comments:

  1. Great point about being able to just heat things up (other than your kitchen!). Yum, lentil stew. You sound like you've got a lot going on -- have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great to me! I really like adding pepperoni to the mac and cheese--neat idea!

    For the my english muffin sandwiches, I scramble eggs, open the muffins and put in the eggs, some spinach , top with grated cheddar (thin slices work too!) and place under broiler just long enough to melt cheese. I like to butter the muffin pieces before for extra yumminess but right now I am trying to lose weight so we skipped it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that?