Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy Poetry Month!





I decided not to April fool you guys about anything. Too busy. My head is filled with lists and plans and information and second guessing. Know what I need? A good dose of poetry. It is, after all, the first day of National Poetry Month. And I intend to celebrate! Come on back tomorrow, and I'll tell you all about Thoroughly Poemfied Thursdays!

In the meantime, I'm thinking a bit of poetry, lunch and then a walk (in precisely that order), would do wonders. I'm scanning the bookshelf next to my desk...


***

Well, I found a poem in a big thick book, looked for it online (so I could cut and paste an excerpt for you) ('cuz I'm lazy), got a few phone calls, decided lunch could not wait, left a voicemail asking my walking buddy if she's free this afternoon, and here I am again. Ready for a little poetry?


"So spoke the wise man in his heart as he sat apart in thought.
Brave is the man who holds to his beliefs; nor shall he ever

show the sorrow in his heart before he knows how he

can hope to heal it. It is best for a man to seek

mercy and comfort from the Father in heaven, the safe home that awaits us all."


- From The Wanderer, Exeter Book. Translation by Kevin Crossley-Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?